CIS Summer in Peru
Qosq’o—that’s the Quecha name for Cusco—is the center of modern indigenous culture in Peru, so you’ll learn a ton about South America outside of the classroom. Join Summer in Peru at 11,500 feet in an incredible city with a vibrant culture. Start getting excited about:
- Study Spanish in the Andes – The way to learn Spanish is to immerse yourself in it, and that’s just what you’ll do on Summer in Cusco!
- The impressive Sacred Valley – Imagine a region filled with stunning mountain views, Quechua-speaking communities, and llamas. On the weekends, you’ll get to explore this diverse region’s salt flats, market towns, ancient ruins, and more. It’s all a short, inexpensive trip from downtown Cusco. See it all on your summer abroad in Peru!
- Machu Picchu – This famous site that was recently picked as one of the Seven New Wonders of the World. Come discover why!
- A colonial city filled with history – Cusco is full of pre-Hispanic and colonial history, which often overlap in fascinating ways. Churches built on pre-Inca spiritual sites, European-esque paintings of the Last Supper that include Andean regional cuisine, and leafy Spanish-style plazas atop Incan stone that make Cusco one of the most dynamic cities in Peru.
In Peru, you will study at a Cusco-based satellite campus of the Universidad San Ignacio de Loyola, a well-known Peruvian university. The university’s vision represents the academic experience you will have: to be a leader in producing professionals with a high level of quality and ethics according to national and international standards. Experienced faculty combine theoretical concepts with case studies to "develop a culture of assessment, innovation and continuous improvement." Student-faculty interaction is key to the university’s success—and yours.
Summer in Peru offers 2 study options: you can focus on your Spanish in the Spanish Immersion Program, or you can take a Spanish-language course and a Peru-focused course taught in English. All levels of Spanish, from beginner to advanced, can be accommodated. A placement test taken when you arrive in Peru will determine the best language course for you. Students will take 6 credits. The classes are highly interactive, and the field trips built into the curriculum will help you gain a true understanding and appreciation of this magnificent area. More information can be found here.
- Beautiful Sacred Valley with ruins, market towns, mountain hiking, and more
- Study Spanish in the Andes: Spanish-language courses at all levels
- Exceptional housing options: apartments with other participants or a homestay with a local family
- Students from around the world
- Classes in diverse subjects in English
- Superb university
- Strong on-site support from the University staff
- Great, inexpensive Andean cuisine, including local specialty cuy (guinea pig!)
Accomodation and Meals
On Semester in Cusco, you can choose between two housing options:
You’ll live in “La Casa de Don Ignacio,” just a few blocks from the main square, Plaza de Armas. By living a few blocks from the main square, you’ll enjoy the many attractions offered in the city of Cusco while you enjoy your home away from home!
Dorm-style apartment offers shared bedrooms, bathrooms, a living room, a small kitchen with a hot-plate and refrigerator, a television, and wireless internet access
- Housekeeping and the changing of your sheets are included in the housing
- Laundry is available for an additional small fee
- Breakfast is provided to all students, but other meals are self catered
Students usually tell us that living in a homestay was their favorite part of studying abroad. You’ll get to truly immerse yourself in Peruvian culture by living with a family and getting an inside look at life in Cusco. Your host family will provide two delicious meals a day, along with bed linens, utilities, wifi, and laundry services. All of the host families have been interviewed and visited to ensure they’ll provide you with a safe and comfortable home during your stay in Cusco. Homestays are a 15-25 commute from the University via bus, but a taxi would take less than 10 minutes.
Catholic University students applying to this program may also be interested in the following scholarships: